Saturday, January 10, 2009

Look Out Improv...Here I Come

First of all, I must start off my telling my oldest son HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! His is the first of eight this month and the first of three in a row. He, his wife, and two children live in Arizona and I was lucky enough to go out a visit them last month.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANNY

I was thinking that I wanted to challenge myself, in my quilting, this year. I usually stay within the confines of traditional patchwork and applique with mostly traditional prints and colors. In other words...not much imagination. With all of the bright, fun prints that line the shelves of our quilt shops now a days it was about time for me to take the plunge and step into the present day. I have no doubt that I will continue to do traditional quilting it will just be with a somewhat more modern look...I hope...I think...


As I was visiting blogland this week I found that the hostess of a blog that I follow, Jackie at Tall Grass Prairie Studio, was challenging all, who care to join her, in doing that very thing, to think outside the (their) box.


One of the things that each "challengee" is to do is to choose a color combo from the three that she offered and make a Log Cabinish type 12" (finished) block that will be part of some quilts that will be made and donated to charity.


There are people that have volunteered to donate batting and backing fabrics and others to machine quilt all of the quilts that are made and still others have volunteered to finish up with the binding. What totally awsome people!!!


The color combo that I chose was orange and pink. I love the look of these two colors together because the remind me of the beach, where I used to live, at sunset.


The fabrics that I chose to make my block out of...
...all from my stash...
When we chose our color combo Jackie said that we could add other colors to our block, so I threw in a little green and turquoise.

Here's my block.......

...what she lacks in construction points, she more than makes up for in cheery brightness...at least I think so;)

Tomorrow, I will be another year older, and wiser too , (yeah, right) Happy Birthday, to me;)

I hope that everyone is having a GREAT weekend;)

12 comments:

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Hey I like that block. Have a Happy Birthday!!!!!
And happy birthday to your son too.

Joanna said...

I love the bright colors in your block! I signed up too, and guess which colors I am doing for my log cabin? Oh yes, pink and orange too:) Still deciding on my own project to make. I think I will take her challenge to do something different than you normally do, and I will work some solids into mine. I never ever use solids, so it will be a challenge for sure:)

MARCIE said...

Happy Birthday Karen! I just had mine too. I won't say "celebrated" as that would be a lie. But we are still kicking, right?

Mrs Jelly said...

Hey! Guess what? You were one of the winners on my fabric giveaway.
Be sure to send me your postal address - details on my latest blog post!

Stina Blomgren said...

Wow... what a block... a happy happy birthday block to you!!
Hope you will have a great birthday tomorrow1!!

Emi said...

Hello! A good challenge, you are very beautiful, congratulations, I feel great!

Emi fondly

Solstitches said...

Wow! That block is hot. It looks great and I look forward to seeing your quilt.
Happy birthday to you Karen :)

Margaret

mnB said...

thats the style im doing my 3 piece this month! :) good to see some of my good style is wearing off on you! haha xo- ur favorite oldest daughter ;)

Red Geranium Cottage said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAUGHTER TOO!!!! WOOHOOO

jacquie said...

happy, happy birthday!!!

jacquie said...

i think i forgot to say how much i LOVE the block you made. so glad you are with me in this project!!

Anonymous said...

As my non-swearing friend might say about that block, "It's STINKIN'S cute!" And she would be right - I just love it and especially love the happy colors! I love your blog too! Found you on Freda's Hive! xo, Nan